Phils Blog

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bike-y update

Since my last cycling related posts a few things have changed. I still have my Centurion road bike, but ocne winter hit in 2007, I could stand the wait for my new fixed/single-speed frame no more and converted an old bike into a fixed gear. This had me sold on the concept of these mechnically simple machines, though not immediately (I still remember there being doubts as to what I've got myself into, though they quickly diminished).

I now ride the bike I built from the aforementioned new frame, an IRO Rob Roy. I've been riding this since mid-April 2008 and have accumulated a shade over 10,000 miles on it now - which I'm proud to say, and have relatively little issues with the bike.

This bike has taken me on the longest and most challenging rides I've ever undertaken, it's also making me desire having a good road bike more and more. I call her Bleubelle (yes, I've named it).

The Centurion has been long-retired as a backup bike, and is now itself single speed due to a colossal taco on the old rear rim happening this past summer (2009).

Some of the more memorable rides have included a day return trip to Lake Simcoe-area and back, more specifically Sutton. This was a random undertaking that I went along with from my good friend Dave.

Another ride was purely a training exercise originally intended to go out to Milton and back, though we (a bike buddy Steve H and I) only got as far as 403 & Burnhamthorpe before turning around. A good ~60kms if I recall, but the pace was consistent and fast compared to what I'm usually used to - it was by far the physically hardest ride I've done to date.

My last big ride was loaded with crucial importance: my daughters first day of school. As my daughter now lives out of town, and her school started at 8am, I was unable to secure an alternative way of getting out to Cambridge and to her school on time (without needlessly spending on a hotel room) it was also complicated by the prior weekends' statutory holiday. So I decided to ride, not wanting to miss out on this significant event in my daughters life.

This was the longest ride I've ever done in one day (although the trip was divided into going there and coming back) - and certainly the most per-day miles I've ever covered both riding fixed or free and it felt very good to be able to be there for my daughter, and having accomplished what I think is a fairly big challenge in undertaking the ride.

Now I'll consider writing a post for that ride specifically, as it's still somewhat fresh in my mind.

My new commute to work takes me north and east, but is longer than my previous commutes and the brief but steep hills I encounter seem to be taking their toll on my legs - I welcome this, as I think I lost a bit of leg strength over the later part of summer due to family visits and having my girlfriend move in (giving me more reason to be home and less reason to be out riding - aiee, what a balance to find!)

That about wraps up my jumbled thoughts for now, I'll draft up a Cambridge ride post shortly, but for now - work!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home